Friday, March 31, 2006

A Word About Commenting

Commenting on Dr. Sanity is provided as a courtesy only. I enjoy a good debate and honest responses to the posts I write. I generally read all the comments and occasionally respond, but often don't have the time to do as much as I would like. I used to comment a lot on other blogs, but writing for this one takes up so much of my time, that even that is quite limited now.

I don't have the ability to review all comments before they appear, but with haloscan (which has its limitations) I can review them after the fact. Sometimes haloscan acts up and comments disappear for no particular reason. But I also have the abililty to delete comments that are offensive and to ban IP addresses that consistently write comments that are offensive and/or designed to take people off-topic; or simply to disrupt the process.

Occasionally, I let some of these pass (if they prove the point I am making; or if the bloviating they exhibit exposes them for what they are; or, simply because I sense a genuine desire to engage and debate). I don't have a problem with people who disagree with me, as much as I have a problem with those who are disagreeable or nasty or deliberately obnoxious. Sometimes when someone is banned, they simply find another IP address to write from. "your mom" is a case in point, as was "mitzell". In those cases, when they are banned by me, I will simply continue to delete their comments whenever I notice them. It is harder when they use different names (which they do quite often), but if I think it is the same person, I will delete their comments. There are a lot of jerks out there like them, who do not want to engage in debate, but only want to act out, shock, annoy etc. I recognize they just want attention--and negative attention is better than no attention at all--but in the end it comes down to the fact that this is MY blog, and I don't have to engage them; care about them; or even let them comment if I don't want to.

Calling me names or threatening me is a sure-fire way to get banned. Those who think they are being cute by using different IP addresses to keep coming back should know that when I get tired of deleting your comments, I will simply stop comments on a particular thread -- or entirely, for that matter-- rather than let you continue your offensive behavior. I suggest you either grow up; get a life; or start your own blog.

For everyone else who comes here and leaves comments, know that I appreciate the time and thought you put into it and that I value your ideas. However, I expect you to be basically civil to one another.

Links to your own blog site or relevant other web pages are fine and appreciated.

Please be relatively brief and relevant to the post.

Again, commenting is a courtesy I extend--it is not something I have to do.

I want to thank all my regular readers for their support and good wishes. I really do enjoy blogging (otherwise I wouldn't do it!) and don't plan to give it up anytime soon. But sometimes it is a good idea to take a break and recharge.

I will be posting again later this afternoon. Cheers!

No comments: