Tuesday, October 11, 2005

Can Harriet Miers Can Dance On The Head of a Pin ?

A little while ago, I suggested that conservatives who opposed the nomination of Harriet Miers should calm down and let events develop. If they didn't like her, they could vote against her. Instead, the hysteria has continued. It has continued to the point that people I once thought were truly reasonable have completely gone off the deep end and are ready and willing to sacrifice everything for the sake of ideological purity.

I thought it was this kind of ideological fanaticism that was the hallmark of our enemies. I thought that after Roberts was confirmed, this kind of bullshit was behind us.

I simply cannot believe that this conservative self-implosion is even necessary. It is, in my opinion at least, completely stupid, destructive, and ridiculous.

Now I am going to say something shocking. To hell with the Supreme Court. I don't really care much one way or the other if we get a Thomas-like conservative or a Souter-like conservative on that exalted bench. I am completely indifferent as to whether or not Roe v Wade continues along as is, or gets repealed. I don't particularly like legislating from the bench and prefer a strict constructionist approach to the Constitution; but I will live with whatever happens. I don't care.

What I won't live with is permitting the Democratic Party to direct (or, should I say, "opt out of"?) the GWOT (or, the War on Islamofascism; the War against Muslim extremists -- whatever name you want to give it). This war is far too important to waste our time on trivial differences in perspective about the judicial branch of the U.S. government.

If we do not get serious about this war, then the judicial Branch is moot--as are the legislative and executive branches, for that matter.

If terrorists had flown a plane into the Supreme Court building of the U.S., they couldn't have done more damage than what conservatives are now doing to that institution. You argued that the President is entitled to his pick just a few short weeks ago. Well, is he or isn't he?

What is really important here? I know how I would answer that question.

I my humble opinion, the most important thing for this Adminsitration-- and for the next one that is being sacrificed on the altar of conservative rage-- is the complete eradication of this incredible threat to western civilization and human freedom; then we can waste time debating how many angels can dance on the head of a pin--or on the head of a Supreme Court Justice, for that matter.

UPDATE: Great minds think alike. Neo-neocon also thinks we should be looking at the bigger picture.

UPDATE II: The Watcher disagrees with me and has some good arguments related to Miers and the GWOT both in the comments and at the Watcher of Weasels site.

No comments: