Tuesday, February 07, 2006

TWO-BIT NOTHING

I especially liked this part of the NSA hearings yesterday -- which almost (but not quite) made up for having to watch and listen to the Democrats on this particular Senate Committee yet again:

SENATOR GRASSLEY: I'm going to start with something that's just peripheral to the issues we're on, but it does deal with our national security, and it's the leak of this information to the New York Times. And I'm greatly concerned about this. And these leaks could be putting our nation's safety into serious jeopardy.
Could you tell us what is being done to investigate who leaked this national security information and whether the Department of Justice will initiate a prosecution of an individual leaking the information?

GONZALES: Senator, we have confirmed the department has initiated an investigation into possible crimes here. And consistent with department practice, I'm not going to talk much further about an ongoing investigation.

Obviously, we have to look at the evidence, and if the evidence shows that a crime has been committed, then obviously we'll have to make a decision about moving forward with a prosecution.

GRASSLEY: And I don't blame you for this, but I don't hear as much about public outcry about this leak as I did about Valerie Plame and the White House disclosures of her -- or presumed disclosures of her identify of a CIA agent. And to me that's a two-bit nothing compared to this sort of issue that we have before us of this information being leaked to the press.


For me this about sums up the Valerie Plame affair -- a "two-bit nothing" matter -- and tells me what the Democrats basically stand for these days. They get their panties in a bunch about Plame/Wilson, and then act like nothing happened (except of course "abuse of executive power")when a really major breach of national security occurs.
Porter Goss, the Director of the CIA had this to say:
"the damage has been very severe to our capabilities to carry out our mission." He added: "It is my aim and it is my hope that we will witness a grand jury investigation with reporters present being asked to reveal who is leaking this information. I believe the safety of this nation and the people of this country deserves nothing less."


I really want to see how the Democrats get out of this one. I stand by my assessment of their character after listening to the hearings yesterday.

Meanwhile, AJ Strata has kindly put together (tongue-in-cheek) ‘The 2006 Congressional Democrat Contract With Al Qaeda' to provide them with some clarity of purpose and summarize their political philosophy. Very appropriate.

UPDATE: Read this column by David Limbaugh (hat tip: Lorie Byrd at Polipundit). And while you're at it, check out Arianna Huffington's point about how "spying and lying" is a "winning issue" for the Dems (I sincerely doubt it). Apparently she doesn't give a fig for national security. This is why the Democrats continue to be the supreme party of two-bit nothings.

No comments: