Thursday, March 24, 2005

Carry On

From the "Everything I know, I learned from Star Trek" files I keep, this scene from the movie Star Trek, The Wrath of Khan seems to me to be appropriate today.

The exchange between Kirk and Saavik occurs while on a simulation training flight for cadets that has taken an unusual turn and has led to to seemingly disastrous and tragic consequences--even though Savaak and her cadets did everything "correctly". Captain Kirk ends the exercise and notices that Saavik is uncomfortable:
KIRK
Well, Mister Saavik, are you going to stay with the sinking ship?

SAAVIK
Permission to speak candidly, sir?

KIRK
Granted.

SAAVIK (fights emotion)
I don't believe this was a fair test of my command abilities.

KIRK
And why not?

SAAVIK
Because... there was no way to win.

KIRK
A no-win situation is a possibility every commander may face. Has that
never occurred to you?

SAAVIK
... No sir. It has not.

KIRK
How we deal with death is at least as important as how we deal with life, wouldn't you say?

SAAVIK(falters)
As I indicated, Admiral, that thought had not occurred to me.

KIRK
Well, now you have something new to think about. Carry on.

Yes. Exactly.

No comments: