Friday, August 31, 2007

NO MORE DR NICE GUY

Hard to believe, I realize, but I have been tagged with a "NICE Award" by Nan at American Daughter:

The Nice Matters Blog Award is for ladies who:

...are nice people; good blog friends and those who inspire good feelings and inspiration. Also, for those who are a positive influence on our blogging world. Once you've been awarded please pass it on to 7 others who you feel are deserving of this award. have not only great blogs, but also who have more to them, there is caring, friendship and inspiration too.

I want to thank American Daughter for the honor she passes on to me--though I'm not sure I deserve it.

Here are the definitions of "nice" found at m-w.com:

Main Entry: nice
Pronunciation: 'nIs
Function: adjective
Inflected Form(s): nic·er; nic·est
Etymology: Middle English, foolish, wanton, from Anglo-French, silly, simple, from Latin nescius ignorant, from nescire not to know -- more at NESCIENCE
1 obsolete a : WANTON, DISSOLUTE b : COY, RETICENT
2 a : showing fastidious or finicky tastes : PARTICULAR : exacting in requirements or standards : PUNCTILIOUS
3 : possessing, marked by, or demanding great or excessive precision and delicacy
4 obsolete : TRIVIAL
5 a : PLEASING, AGREEABLE : well-executed : APPROPRIATE, FITTING
6 a : socially acceptable : WELL-BRED : VIRTUOUS, RESPECTABLE
7 : POLITE, KIND


After looking at all the meanings attributed to "nice", maybe I'm more deserving of the award than I thought!

As you can see, some of the definitions of "nice" are not...well, nice (see #1 or #4 as well as the origin of the word itself), but as descriptors, they certainly fit some female bloggers I am familiar with, and whose names I will not mention because I will try to live up to the #7 definition of the word.

As far as lady bloggers who are described by #6 ("WELL-BRED, VIRTUOUS, RESPECTABLE), I really couldn't say for sure, though I suspect those terms characterize several!

I considered passing the award on to Siggy, who fits definition #2, but he is not a lady; and is, in fact, three dead shrinks and not one of them remotely female (well, maybe Carl).

So, here are my nominations for the POLITE, KIND, PLEASING and AGREEABLE aspects of "nice", as well as the PRECISE and DELICATE meanings. These are gals who are, in my book, really nice in all the most positive connotations of the word; AND they are also tough, intrepid, and inspirational at the same time!

Neo at Neo-neocon

Fausta at Fausta's Blog

The Anchoress at The Anchoress

Dymphna at Gates of Vienna

Maxed Out Mama at Maxed-Out Mama

Betsy at Betsy's Page

Dr. Helen at Dr. Helen

I have done my duty by niceness, and now I will revert back to my regularly scheduled personality style!

No comments: