Friday, August 06, 2004

Completely Clueless

I've said it before and I'll say it again (and again, and again, I'm afraid): I like Fox News. Why? Fox News is the most honest cable news program. When I listen to Fox, I know where they are coming from, because they tell me. The are not neutral in their presentation. They are very pro-America. I don't mind this, because I believe you can be objective in your reporting even if you are not neutral. Hell, I am not neutral either. I WANT America to win the War on Terror. I think Bin Laden, Zarqawi and the others ARE scumbags and the dregs of humanity. I hope they die hearing the voices of all the people they have viciously murdered. See? None of that is very neutral of me. I take sides. BUT, I think I can be objective about these beliefs, particularly when I evaluate the potential threat to me and my loved ones that they represent. Were the war correspondents in WWII neutral about the war? Did they not care who won? Did they think they had to present Hitler in a positive light in order to remain fair and balanced? (of course, the way the media present psychopaths like Bin Laden et al to preserve the illusion of being neutral in their reporting is as "victims" or to emphasize how our side is just as responsible for the carnage they initiate). The answer is that, of course, they weren't neutral. But they did objectively present the facts of the war, even when the U.S. and Allies were losing. That is what mattered.

As for those other TV news networks--I watched them for years before Fox News even existed--I didn't have a choice. These guys aren't neutral either. Oh, they try to pretend they are (by doing stories that show our enemies as victims; our actions as suspect). But all you have to do is watch them to see how revoltingly smug they are about the opinions-they-profess-not-to have-so-it-couldn't-possibly-have-any-impact-on-the-objectivity- of-their-reporting. Bullshit. CNN, MSNBC and the regular news outlets aren't any more neutral than Fox. And because they won't admit they aren't neutral, most of their reporting isn't very objective. It's tainted by their persistent blindness to their own feelings and motives.

As it happens, I am on the same side of the fence as Fox, in general. That's why its more comfortable for me to watch their presentation of the news. I don't want to stop CNN or MSNBC or ABC, CBS, and NBC from providing the news with their biases. You are free to choose to watch them if you like.(I won't bore you by citing all the evidence that exists about a liberal bias in the news. If you don't know this by now, then you are in total denial.) But I deeply resent all the wackos who are trying to silence my choice in news programs.

For example, some of our elected morons have decided that Fox News is a threat to civilization. It seems to me that they are completely clueless as to who the real threats are. These are probably some of the same elected morons who wrote to the U.N. to invite them to oversee and monitor the presidential election in November (I suppose these Democratic congresspeople are just trying to be neutral about who wins the election, since all they care about is that the American voter get a fair chance to vote that the evil Republicans who exist solely to prevent this from happening be stopped. Right?)

Well, whatever you or I think about whether Fox News is fair and balanced, Americans "vote" for TV programs by choosing what channel to tune their sets to every day. Fox News appears to be winning in this "vote". Maybe we should invite the U.N. to come in and monitor this election, too, since its not going the way some people want it to.

No comments: