Thursday, August 05, 2004

Waging A "Sensitive" War

As Senator Kerry speaks about being able to fight a more "sensitive" war (can't find a link, but it will be all over the news one would suppose by tomorrow), I think these comments from Donald Sensing are appropriate:

"I am reminded of a dinner I attended just after the campaign in Afghanistan began. Another guest commented that it "wasn't fair" for US pilots to fly with impunity above Taliban positions, dropping bombs. I bit my tongue. Later, another guest said that the bombing "wouldn't intimidate" the Taliban. I dived in. "We're not trying to intimidate them," I said."Then why are we bombing them?" came the question."To kill them," I answered. There was a long silence at the table. The concept seemed not to have occurred to them. With only a couple of exceptions, the others were university graduate-school students."

Speaking as a psychiatrist, "sensitivity" might be a good thing when dealing with your family or co-workers; but applying the concept to how we should deal with the Taliban and Al Qaeda and groups of their ilk is downright suicidal.

UPDATE: OK, here's the link to Kerry's words on running a more "sensitive" war.

1 comment:

Dr. Sanity said...

Thanks for the link, Athena. Very revealing, isn't it? By the way, I like your blog very much. Pat (aka Dr. Sanity)