Monday, January 21, 2008

SPINNING A PENNY

Piet Hein, whose works I admired quite a bit (but who is no longer in print--see here), once wrote the following 'grook':

A PSYCHOLOGICAL TIP

Whenever you're called on to make up your mind,
and you're hampered by not having any,
the best way to solve the dilemma, you'll find,
is simply by spinning a penny.
No -- not so that chance shall decide the affair
while you're passively standing there moping;
but the moment the penny is up in the air,
you suddenly know what you're hoping.


We have just finished spinning pennies in Iowa, New Hampshire, Michigan, Nevada, and South Carolina and I finally had a an epiphany, just as the poem suggests. I have been moping around trying to figure out if there's anyone I could support on the Republican side of the aisle, since, as usual, I find the Democratic candidates complete disasters. I have spent literally hours looking at each candidate's website and listening to various ads, etc--trying to cut through the jungle of inaccurate reporting and MSM (and candidate) 'spin'; and then, quite suddenly, after Michigan and North Carolina, I realized what I'm hoping:

Thompson and/or Guiliani.

Either one, or both, on a Republican ticket. I simply can't get into supporting either McCain or Romney with any degree of enthusiasm; and as for Huckabee, if I wanted a populist charlatan, I'd vote for Edwards, who's even better at that sort of thing.

Now, if only other conservatives follow Hein's psychological tip (or Roger Simon's, for that matter) we should all come to appreciate what we're hoping by Super Duper Tuesday.

No comments: