Saturday, May 07, 2005

The Underlying Tyranny of the Left

Ladies and Gentlemen, I submit for your review, this perfect example of how unseriously the academic elite in this country take the issue of intellectual freedom when it is not their own opinions that are being held to scrutiny. From Michelle Malkin's blog:

UNC law professor Eric Muller--the chief critic of my latest book whom I debated several times on the radio and engaged extensively (see below)--called on his blog readers to get my book banned --yes, banned--from the shelves at the Manzanar relocation center[note: Manzanar is a National Park Service site operated by the US government-PS].


Clearly, free speech is all well and good if you are one of the protected elite of academia.

Remember the expression, "I disapprove of what you say, but I defend to the death your right to say it." ? This well-known quotation is attributed to Voltaire, but there is no evidence he ever said it (although he could have). What he actually said/wrote is even more appropriate in this case:

"Monsieur l'abbé, I detest what you write, but I would give my life to make it possible for you to continue to write." --Voltaire, letter to M. le Riche, February 6, 1770; French author, humanist, rationalist, & satirist (1694 - 1778)


I imagine that Professor Muller would be out on the picket lines laying his life on the line (hahahahaha) to defend the execrable Ward Churchill's right to speech. And, I'll wager that is only because he happens to agree with Churchill.

I don't happen to agree with all of Malkin's ideas in the book in question, but she adds considerably to the discussion and raises issues that need to be considered in a free society.

Muller's behavior, on the other hand, exemplifies the underlying tyranny at the heart of many leftist positions.

You can buy her book here:

No comments: