Thursday, May 05, 2005

The Terrible Ifs Accumulate

The terrible Ifs accumulate - Winston Churchill

Reading a recent Wretchard post where he links to an earlier post of his, I was reminded that I was much impressed with that earlier post from 2003. Since I wasn't blogging back then, I thought I'd link to it now, since its relevance has only increased. .

In that brilliant post from September, 2003 "The Three Conjectures", Wretchard initiates a line of impeccable logic to conclude:

It is supremely ironic that the survival of the Islamic world should hinge on an American victory in the War on Terror, the last chance to prevent that terrible day in which all the decisions will have already been made for us.


If you have not read this analysis, I strongly urge you to do so. It will forever change your view of the War on Terror (as it did mine when I first read it).

What has troubled me then, as it still does now, is the nagging feeling I have of the inevitability of the worse possible outcome in this all-to-possible scenario. We a dealing with human beings--no, worse--we are dealing with completely and totally irrational human beings.

Mohammad the Prophet set off a chain of events 1400 years ago that have brought us to where we are today. Islam's virulence has mutated for the worse over the centuries, destroying the once vibrant civilization in the Middle East. Now, wholly embracing the most primitive and emotion-driven ideology, the true believers of Islam find themselves in possession of technology and weapons that they never could have imagined in their wildest dreams. As with any despotic mindset, they see this technology not as a way of liberating people; but the key to enslaving them to their sick vision.

No comments: