Tuesday, July 27, 2004

As If Our Lives Depended On it

Two great pieces I read today, both on the same topic --the choice we face in November. The first is from Victor Davis Hanson and the second from Wretchard at Belmont Club. Both clearly delineate the differences between the two parties in their approach to foreign policy.  Wretchard concludes: 

"This post is not the place to argue in favor of one or the other: but to maintain that the choices are distinct. That is why many Democrats want George Bush out with an almost religious fervor and why many conservatives are fighting for his re-election as if their lives depended on it, because they think it does. Current polls show the candidates nearly level, which means that when the choice is finally made in November, the nation will decide by the slimmest of margins which point of view will grip the wheel. The final count will not so much end the series as send it into overtime. At stake are the lives our children -- whose fates will be determined by what we do or refuse to do -- after Boston and New York."
 
I have to admit that this quote captures exactly how I feel.  I have never become involved in a political campaign prior to this year--but I am actively campaigning for President Bush.  I have been more enthusiastic about candidates in the past than I am about George Bush (I especially have disliked his social policy on issues like Gay Marriage and his increased government spending on programs such as Medicare).  But I feel as if this election is a matter of life and death.  I am afraid for my daughter's future if the Islamofascist malignant threat is not totally crushed and eradicated from the world.  I don't want to wait for that threat to manifest itself again--ever again--on our shores. Every other issue for me is secondary.

No comments: