Tuesday, November 15, 2005

An Honorable Man

Senator Joe Lieberman had this to say today about Carl Levin'd defeated amendment which sought to make a timetable for withdrawing from Iraq (more at the link):

"It is no surprise to my colleagues that I strongly supported the war in Iraq. I was privileged to be the Democratic cosponsor, with the Senator from Virginia, of the authorizing resolution which received overwhelming bipartisan support.

"As I look back on it and as I follow the debates about prewar intelligence, I have no regrets about having sponsored and supported that resolution because of all the other reasons we had in our national security interest to remove Saddam Hussein from power, a brutal, murdering dictator, an aggressive invader of his neighbors, a supporter of terrorism, a hater of the United States of America. He was for us a ticking time bomb that if we did not remove him I am convinced would have blown up, metaphorically speaking, in America's face. I am grateful to the American military for the extraordinary bravery and brilliance of their campaign to remove Saddam Hussein.

"I know we are safer as a nation, and to say the obvious that the Iraqi people are freer as a people, and the Middle East has a chance for a new day and stability with Saddam Hussein gone. We will come to another day to debate the past of prewar intelligence. But let me say briefly the questions raised in our time are important. The international intelligence community believed Saddam Hussein had weapons of mass destruction. Probably most significant, and I guess historically puzzling, is that Saddam Hussein acted in a way to send a message that he had a program of weapons of mass destruction.


God! It is so refreshing to hear some sanity coming from a Democrat! Here is a man I might have voted for in 2000 had he not been shackled to someone of questionable character like Gore. This is an honorable and mature individual, who takes responsibility for his actions and stands by them when he knows they are right.

I'm sure that he can expect suitable punishment from his Party for being reasonable on this issue and putting his country first before opportunism (i.e., Democratic Party loyalty).

No comments: