Tuesday, January 04, 2005

J.R.R.'s Birthday

The Corner reminds us that today is JRR Tolkien's 113th birthday! I am deeply grateful for Tolkien's Middle Earth. He has become popular again, but I came to know hobbits and orcs when I was in high school many years ago. At a high school English party, where everyone came dressed as a character from the Lord of the Rings, I came (with my long, dark hair) as Arwen Undomiel. My future husband came dressed as Aragorn. I suppose it was inevitable that we would get married (though, like our namesakes it was some years before we did so!) So, I partially credit Tolkien with the fact that my marriage has lasted for 25 years. In fact, to this day, the license plate of my car is always "ARWEN" and has been for about 30 years, no matter what state I have lived in.

Happy Birthday, John Ronald Reuel.

No comments: