Monday, August 01, 2005

Evil Genius or Foolish Left? You Decide

I've been wondering why Robert Novak wasn't saying anything lately about the Plame business, but now he has -- just enough to make me smile.

So, what was "wrong" with my column as Harlow claimed? There was nothing incorrect. He told the Post reporters he had "warned" me that if I "did write about it, her name should not be revealed." That is meaningless. Once it was determined that Wilson's wife suggested the mission, she could be identified as "Valerie Plame" by reading her husband's entry in "Who's Who in America."

Harlow said to the Post that he did not tell me Mrs. Wilson "was undercover because that was classified." What he did say was, as I reported in a previous column, "she probably never again would be given a foreign assignment but that exposure of her name might cause 'difficulties.' " According to CIA sources, she was brought home from foreign assignments in 1997, when Agency officials feared she had been "outed" by the traitor Aldrich Ames.

I have previously said that I never would have written those sentences if Harlow, then-CIA Director George Tenet or anybody else from the Agency had told me that Valerie Plame Wilson's disclosure would endanger herself or anybody.

The recent first disclosure of secret grand jury testimony set off a news media feeding frenzy centered on this obscure case. Joseph Wilson was discarded a year ago by the Kerry presidential campaign after the Senate committee reported much of what he said "had no basis in fact."

The re-emerged Wilson is now accusing the senators of "smearing" him. I eagerly await the end of this investigation when I may be able to correct other misinformation about me and the case.


I eagerly await the end of the investigation, too. I imagine we'll know the end of it has come when the press suddenly become silent; and/or when the Left begins to hysterically accuse the evil genius Rove of "setting them up" to look foolish.

Sheesh. It doesn't take an evil genius to do that.

Oh, and speaking of the Press and the Left looking foolish, check out Michael Fumento's column "Mainstream Media Suppress Iraq Optimism." (hat tip: OBH)

No comments: